Monday, March 28, 2011

Have I mentioned how much I love my new bedroom?

Yes, well, I probably have.  But I really, really do love it.  It's the dream bedroom I would have wanted when I was 14 and it's still my dream bedroom.  I'm not sure what that says about me (immature perhaps?!) but I don't care.  I had fun the other day trying to take some nice photos of it, adding a little window dressing and some flowers to show it off, so I thought I'd share them here.  How could you not love this room (warning: gratuitous artsy fartsy attempts by me to do interior design magazine style pics following)?
View from the door, window made by clever Beloved.

View of Chest of Drawers also made by Beloved, under sleeping loft (which, it goes without saying, was made by Beloved!)

Comfy chair in the corner.  Wow, I can see the floor!  This really is the perfect solution to a small bedroom with no storage space.

Another, entirely unnecessary I know, pic of the comfy chair, with my grandmother's bedside table.

A 'pan' from door round to window, composite of several photos.  You'll have to click on this one to see it bigger to appreciate better.  In the corner you can see my nifty solution to needing some quick, cheap but not too ugly storage space for clothes.  El cheapo basic pine shelving from the local hardware (IKEA has something almost identical), and some 'shipping cartons' from Office Works with seagrass handles added, painted the same colour as the walls.  Worked quite well I think.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love sleeping up in the loft.  There's a little square window to let in light, and it's wonderful being snuggled up there in the cold weather when it (eventually!) arrives, listening to the rain pattering on the tin roof.  I don't know why more people don't do this.




8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh this looks lovely! Perfect place to curl up with a book next to something that reminds you of your grandmother. And the loft! Awesome idea! Sounds cozy.

Unknown said...

dear mermaid - your bedroom decorating ideas are very inspiring. I too, love my bedroom best of all i have ever had, but it could definately do with a makeover! Thanks for these beautiful photos.

WOL said...

I don't wonder why you love it. The ladder might be a bit problematic for these old bones, but a stair (which you could still do) would suit. I think it's a brilliant solution to a small bedroom with no storage space.

Joel Le Blanc said...

I love that you sleep in the loft - asides from the fact that it's so romantic, nostalgic and cozy, it reminds me of the old stories of selkies, whose skins were hidden in chests in the attic by their husbands, only to be discovered years later as a key to freedom and self. Thanks for the pics!

nony mouse said...

:)

Valerianna said...

Beautiful, I love the wall color, I've been trying to land on a green for my upstairs for YEARS! I painted the laundry room for a test and discovered it was the wrong green for upstairs. Good in the laundry room, but too bright for bedroom.

Nice having a handy-man beloved, the chest is quite lovely. Still no autumn? Still winter here, icy cold morning.

Karen said...

What a wonderful place to sleep! :)

Cindy said...

I love it, I really like the pic of the chair with the flowers beside, it is stunning with the color of your walls. enjoy, it is very peaceful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails