Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Yippee, yahooey...Shaun Tan is the 2011 ALMA recipient!

OK, I'm a little overly excited!  This was going to be a simple post to let you all know that I've reopened my Etsy shop...I've pared it down a bit, but I'll be adding more in the next week or so.  After experimenting for a few months with prices that barely broke even and not getting much response, I've decided to put the prices back up to normal, and I'll no longer be offering A5 prints, it's just not worth it.  I'll see what happens.


But the really exciting news is that LOCAL PERTH BOY (oh, I just had to say that...even though I think he's moved to Melbourne now!) Shaun Tan has, hard on the heels of winning an Oscar for Best Animated Short film, just been announced as the winner of the 2011 Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award, probably the most important children's literature award in the world.  If you haven't discovered Shaun's amazing work, go go go right now and check it out.  I've been a fan of Shaun's for years, and years ago I used to work with a friend of his (I think he gave Shaun his first illustration job, on a local Sci Fi magazine!) so I've seen his rise to fame and seen his work just blossom so incredibly.  I was also lucky enough back in 2006 to have a sneak preview of 'The Arrival' before it was published...now that is a truly amazing book.  So congratulations to Shaun, he richly deserves it, he really is a master!
From the marvelous 'The Lost Thing', the short film of which won the Oscar.

Eric the exchange student, from 'Tales of Outer Suburbia'.  He's one of my favourite Shaun Tan characters.

The water buffalo from 'Tales of Outer Suburbia'.  Probably one of the reasons I like this book so much is that, despite it's weirdness, the suburbs of Perth are still recognisable in it...makes me think maybe there really could be magic and marvels down the end of my street!


5 comments:

Mo Crow said...

What good news, Shaun is brilliant, "Eric" is a favourite and I love "The Red Tree".

tera said...

Good luck on your shop re-do. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck will sell...

and yea for Shaun! His work is spectacular! :)

Lynn said...

I'd not heard of Shaun Tan before, thanks for the introduction! His images are so full of fantasy and atmosphere, just beautiful.

And, good luck with the re-opening of your Etsy shop.

Terri Windling said...

That is indeed good news!

Richard Jesse Watson said...

I also love Shaun's work. He is the kind of artist that makes the world more curious and wonderful. I'm glad you mentioned the Perth suburbs--it does make one take another look at their own "ordinary" place.

Related Posts with Thumbnails