Thursday, March 10, 2011

Through the window...

This is where I am so far.  I still don't really know where to go from here, I can't decide whether I should leave the trees in the subtle sepia sketch style, or whether I should put in a dark sky and bring the trees out in white against it (the song does mention the moon, and owls, so I guess that means night-time!).  And I wasn't quite happy with the composition, the line of the window down through the middle of the page, so that's why I tried to break it up a bit by having it 'bleed' into the trees (also, I wanted the trees to be more dominant).  So far it's very understated colour-wise, aside from the red rose...and I'm not happy with the pinkish-red of that so it needs more work.  I want it to stand out, but not that much, so I think it will need to be 'muddied' up a bit.  And I'm really unsure how to do the girl's face...whether I should keep to the sepia palette or colour it naturally, whether I should continue just with pen and ink or work back into it with pencil for more control (and if I do, graphite or colour?)  Hmmm...decisions, decisions!

8 comments:

Valerianna said...

I think there is something magical about the light on the face - like subtle moonlight. Beautiful. Good luck with all those decisions!

WOL said...

I think you should back off and let it rest for a while. There's always a danger you could "overthink" it. To me the fact that you don't know where to go with it says your "art lobe" hasn't finished with the image yet. At least sleep on it and give your "art lobe" time to work it out.

Faith Pray said...

I, too, like where you're going with the moonlit face. Intriguing to see it in process.

Anonymous said...

its a lovely sketch - i would personally try the darker background to bring the trees forward and highlight the little girl more. it would also draw more colour to the rose as a larger area of the paper would be dark :)

Nomi McLeod said...

It's so great to see people's processes in painting. Have you ever made one of those time-lapse video's of a painting?

x

WOL said...

BTW, See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbebHXI1cx4

Lecte said...

Thank you for posting this - it's so interesting to see the unfinished work, when the final look is just beginning to emerge, or may be changed altogether.
I really like the way the window frame is melting into the trees, and the girl's lit face is full of promise. Good luck in bringing it to the finish :)

Vilt og vakkert said...

Heisann! This reminds me of the work of a student of mine, but the style is different, her's more graphic!
Wonderful point of which to go on....
Have a nice evening ;:OD)

Related Posts with Thumbnails