Sunday, May 15, 2011

If music be the food of love...........

I've been thinking a lot about music lately, how powerful it is, how it makes you feel, how it can elicit such a deep and almost instinctual response.  How it can take you by surprise and totally undo you and leave you in a sobbing mess.  My mum tells me that when my brother and I were little, she thought I would be the musician and he the artist.  It turned out the other way round...but not entirely, my multi-talented brother can still draw beautifully.  And I wonder sometimes whether music is actually closer to my heart than painting or drawing.

But...that's all a thought (and quite possibly a much longer post) for another day.  I've been sewing the last couple of days, making aprons for moi and for someone special's up-coming birthday (I don't think she reads my blog, but you never know).  Also today, the munchkins begged to be shown how to sew with the machine, so I gritted my teeth, tried to breathe calmly and deeply (they probably can't really sew their finger by accident...I don't think), and showed them some basics.  Pictures of aprons may follow in a couple days, but biggest munchkin wanted to put a CD on while I was sewing and chose a favourite I haven't listened to for a while, Loreena McKennitt's "An Ancient Muse".  Listening to 'The English Ladye and The Knight' made me want to put down the sewing and pick up the guitar.  So I did, and had a fiddle around trying to work out the chords, and which fret to capo, to be in tune.  Took about half an hour of playing it over and over, but I finally found a combination that seemed to match well enough.  Had a whack at recording it a little while ago.  I'm just too impatient, I don't want to wait till I've practiced it properly I want to do it NOW, so the chords are very dodgy, and I was reading the words off the screen as I sang...and my nose is rather stuffed up.  Not the best conditions, but what the heck.  Here it is, and the gorgeous original is posted below!



8 comments:

Unknown said...

What a blessed thing to teach your children to sew. I am so grateful to my mother for doing this for me (when I was 11 years) and kick myself that I failed to show my own two this magic.

Music is a close second to scent in evoking emotions and nostalgia for me.

Sarah Jean said...

Such a beautiful voice you have! :)

Raven Moon Magic said...

Once again you have such a transporting voice.Indi has travelled over to me from her my little pony movie, "who that mummy??"...a beautiful lady called Christina..


Yay for kiddie sewing, I still have the very first thing I ever sewed at about 5, rather tragic but very special. Im about to spend the day sewing too. Maybe I will allow miss 3 to have a go and see what happens.


much love

xxx
Sheree

Joel Le Blanc said...

Good on you! That sounds like such a cool time with you and the kids. I have fond memories of learning to do things like sewing or cooking when I was a munchkin. I might not sew now, but there was something special about learning some like that - something so basic, hands-on, and timeless.

Music has a funny way of creeping into our lives, just at the right moment. I've owned the CD "Folklore" by Nelly Furtado for years now, but never listened to it. All of a sudden with a new story I am working on, it is the perfect soundtrack to my writing and I am listening to it all day.

Some songs are just like friends, they stay with us during experiences and hold our hands till we get through.

Valerianna said...

I teeter between music and art... years focussed on one, then another, I never quite land only in one world... both feed my soul in different and crucial ways.
Happy munchkin sewing!

Karen said...

You have a lovely voice Christina.x

Windsongs and Wordhoards said...

I love your version, what a beautiful song! For me the art forms are very much intertwined, I could not imagine life without music, visual art or writng and language, I get equal pleasure from them all, whether my own or the creations of others...
I hope your girls enjoy learning to sew!
(the word verification is 'outch' I hope that doesn't apply to their little fingers!)

Unknown said...

This was definitely a good read!
And I absolutely adore your blog..looks so blue and mysterious! :-D

Related Posts with Thumbnails