Monday, May 2, 2011

The Wildwood comes to the City, and the Gypsies carouse in the 'burbs....

Oh the tangled and wonderful paths the web pixies lead us away on...........

I watched Art Nation last night.  The program ended with a song by a group I've never heard of, but I'll be looking forward to hearing more, called The Tiger and Me.  Gypsy music is sweeping the world it seems, and the accordion has become cool (all those chunky little boys in velvet tuxedos with ruffles, competing on Young Talent Time in the 70s, have finally got the last laugh!)  I want to play in a band like that!

So this morning, I thought I'd do a web search for Tiger and Me, and see what I came up with.  Beloved has the radio in the studio permanently tuned to Triple J, and as I was searching, some very cool gypsyesque/punkish fiddle music came on.  Wow, I thought, that could be them!  So I turned it up to listen and catch the name of the band at the end.  No, it wasn't The Tiger and Me, it was a group called The Crooked Fiddle Band.  So while I was at it, I looked up them too.

Found both of them on Youtube (yay, I love Youtube).  How cool, I've discovered 2 brilliant new Aussie bands!  Then, as you do, I scanned the column down the right hand side...you know, the 'suggestions'.  One caught my eye, because the tiny still showed a man wearing a wild, almost 'greenman', looking mask. A song called 'Rabbit Song' by a band called Boy and Bear.  So I clicked on it and watched.  Oh I just love this video...it's every frustrated 9-5 (or more like 7.30 to 6.30 these days) office worker's dream come true.  It made me think of Bordertown, which I've been discovering recently (having missed it as a 'Young Adult' reader).  And then, I noticed another video of theirs that looked interesting...so off I went again!

So here you are, for your pleasure, 4 videos by 3 cool Aussie bands that I didn't even know existed 24 hours ago!  Ahhh, the magic of the world wide web!







3 comments:

Sarah Jean said...

I really liked the first one! The sound reminds me of Beirut, but a little rougher around the edges.

WOL said...

If you like the Bordertown stories, you might like these: "Finder" and "Territory" both by Emma Bull, and this one: http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Bordertown-Terri-Windling/dp/0312867034

You might also like the Newford stories of Charles de Lint

Unknown said...

Loving the Tiger and Me - thanks for the heads up x

Related Posts with Thumbnails