Sunday, May 30, 2010

The 'Green Jack'...is green!

Just a quick post, as it's Sunday and I'm doing half a dozen things at once (washing to put out and more to do as it's sunny, dyeing a skirt in onion skins, and cleaning the bath...not to mention finishing this painting!)

Here's the Green Jack as he was last night after the acrylic colour was applied.

And here he is this morning after some refining around the eyes and extra shading, and details added to the oak leaves.

The initial idea was to add some text, but I've got to one of those annoying WIIFIUSs (the 'what if I **** it up stage') which makes me scared to take the next step in case I ruin it.  I was intending to make it darker down the left side and add some fine white handwriting in pen and ink, but I'm not sure.  I was also wondering about adding some tattoo like markings on his face.  Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

Thank you too for your comments about the poem, it's very encouraging.  And if anyone doesn't like it, or doesn't think it works, please remember I'm just as happy to have those comments as well, it's all about learning to be better, so constructive criticism is always appreciated as well...though it IS lovely to have lots of nice comments!  Must go...washing to be done!

8 comments:

Danielle Barlow said...

Oh, he's fab! I get those 'WIIFIUS's all the time. I generally just take a really good scan of it, in case, and then grit my teeth and go for it! But it is nerve wracking too :)

Anne said...

WOW...:)

Unknown said...

What stunning drawing, colours, composition, everything!!!

Valerianna said...

He's great.... LOVE his intensity - a wild, Green Jack for sure... I can imagine him shapeshifting into the beast in the poem from yesterday's post and running through the forest.

Yup, with you on the WIIFUS"S... good luck with that....

Julia Guthrie said...

He's a rather saucy looking Green Jack if I do say so!! :)

Have you thought of doing some experimental writing on thin tracing paper or something...or maybe printing one out to practise?
I know how you feel...

Debrina said...

Loving the come hither look in Green Jack's eyes too! Lol! The tattoo would be a nice touch - I always add pictish tats to my green man paintings (I paint for a friend on Ebay).

Emerald Window said...

A agree with Danielle about scanning it and then going for the writing and/or tattoos. If we all let the WIIFUS's lead us, nothing would ever be finished.
Wait until you are in the right frame of mind, take a deep breathe and go for it.
Cenya

A mermaid in the attic said...

Thanks everyone...I usually get through the WIIFIUSs, but occasionally I just can't make a decision and have a couple pieces hanging around still waiting to be finished. I think I will go with the text on this one. Valerianna, I probably was still thinking about 'the beast' when I painted this, so he will be in there too, I do love the idea of shapeshifters. He could also have a touch of the 'Glanconer' about him (check out Brian Froud's 'Good Faeries/Bad Faeries). I'm glad the intensity is coming across, I wanted him to be wild but not bad...there's danger there, but that's because wild things are unpredictable. As for the 'come hither' look, well, if the Green Jack can entice more people into the beauty of wild places, then maybe there'll be less destruction of them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails