Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Oh look, another book!

I'd just about forgotten about this, and it took me a while to hunt down the photos in our highly efficient (ha ha ha) photo filing system, but here it is, another book I made with my own fair hands.  In 2007 I started painting 'professionally' (ie. I did more of it and actually got myself an ABN...Australian Business Number) and among the first pieces I did were a set of 4 paintings of Goddesses based on the 4 elements.  I began with Fire because I'd attended a workshop on the elements and decided I didn't have enough 'fire' energy in my life, not enough action.  A lot of thinking and daydreaming, but not much actual making things happen, and I thought it was high time I did something about it.  To go with the paintings, I created this book to explain my ideas, inspirations and meditations on each element.  The idea was that if (miracle of miracles) someone actually bought the whole set (and they were quite large), they would also receive the book, and if the paintings sold one at a time, I would keep it myself as a memento.  And lo and behold...someone did indeed eventually (the following year) buy the whole set.  It was a heady start to my career as an artist, and in many ways, a validation that I was truly doing what I was supposed to be doing in this world.

In the book, I kept to the original painting sequence, beginning with Fire, rather than ordering the elements as they traditionally are...Air, Fire, Water, Earth.  I felt it was important to tell the story of how each one was created.
Introduction

Fire

Air

Water

Earth

Back page

Closed.  I also made a slipcase for it, but unfortunately didn't take a photo.

So it seems I do make books, even if I'm not a writer!  I think there will be more.

10 comments:

SHAWN said...

Aww--this is such a beautiful book. I love your water color effects. Thank you for the inspiration.

Jodaeodesign said...

Your use of words and image are visually stunning. Truly a beautiful piece of art work.

Valerianna said...

Beautiful... I especially like Earth... and The Elements page with the lovely mandala/triple spiral-ish design.
Look forward to seeing more books....!

Emerald Window said...

I certainly hope there will be more. I loved the Earth page also.
Cenya

jude said...

how do you forget such a thing?

loucieee said...

I am always inspired by elements. And also watercolours but they require dexterity. :)

Windsongs and Wordhoards said...

It's beautiful, and I like the fact its all hand written - it works really well with all the rich washes underneath. Wonderful colours...
I liked seeing your other book too - The Magic Sword! My daughter age six has started making books already, the first ones when she was four... its so good you kept it, these things show where our creative journeys began afterall...
Carrie... :)

CathyH said...

Very beautiful!

Carol Anne Strange said...

Stunning and enchanting work! Sending you bright, magical wishes. xx

Kathy said...

It's absolutely stunning. I do hope you make more.

Have a great day.

Bright blessings,
Kathy

Related Posts with Thumbnails