Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Work In Progress: Beauty Remembers

This is 2 days worth of work, I've just about finished with the pencil rendering (some trees to be added to the horizon), then it will be sealed, then I'll get into the acrylic washes.  I'm working with it leaning up against the dining table while I sit on the floor in front, probably not the best way to go about it, but I couldn't get it on the easel at the right height to sit at.  The canvas is 91cm square, and I intend to have a fair bit of white space.  I haven't worked out how I'm going to incorporate the text of the poem yet though, what style writing and whether I should do it in pencil, or pen and ink, though I think it should be either grey or sepia toned.  Beauty's hair seems to be taking on a slightly tree-like look which I quite like, though it wasn't intentional.  I struggled with the folds of the sheet though, I REALLY can't do draping cloth!  It has to be finished by the end of the week, so no time to stop and procrastinate about which way I should go, which is probably a blessing!

Late Note: for everyone popping in thanks to Terri Windling's very kind recommendation at The Drawing Board, thanks for dropping by, and it you click on the 'Beauty Remembers' label just under the post title, you'll get all the posts relating to the creation of this drawing/painting as it progresses.







11 comments:

sarah said...

wow.

That old Quokka again said...

Wow! I agree. The pencil drawing is beautiful, including the drapery. And I love the wolf.

earthangelsarts said...

Stunning work! I can't wait to see the next part and to see the finished painting. XX

Jacky said...

This is so beautiful! I like seeing your pencil sketches before you begin adding your acrylic washes. It will be nice to follow your process.
Love that wolf.

Jackyxox

Barry said...

MIA - as others have said - this is a stunning piece of work - looking forward to seeing the finished piece. Hope you survive the cramped working position. B

Suzi Smith said...

lookin forward to seeing this evolve... gorgeous! A deadline is good sometimes, eh!

jude said...

nice to see this form.

Els said...

It is amazing! You're a very talented person!

Windsongs and Wordhoards said...

I love her face, with her closed eyes it makes me wonder what she's thinking and feeling,it expresses much - you can sense her pain and her pride in that face and also her strength... Reading the poem again I'd forgotten what a powerful piece of writing that was, I loved it then and it was great to read it again and look at your drawing with that context. It's going to be great, can't wait to see how it progresses!
Carrie... :)

Raven Moon Magic said...

Love it Christina, can you do another step by step with the painting process. I noticed you said seal it and then paint, is that to keep the pencil shading intact because Ive had that problem before, so if you could make it ala tutorial that would be amazing. I know what you mean about fabric drawing, we did months of that at school, it was painful! and I still dont get it! haha
looking forward to seeing this completed, i love your work.

xxx
sheree

Beth Niquette said...

Amazing. Breathtaking.

Related Posts with Thumbnails