Friday, October 22, 2010

A short scribble for today, because I'm feeling a bit like this....


And shall I erect my cathedral in you?
The architecture of my mind striving to find
a silence of sky blue enough to reach to.
All this jingle-jangle daily bump and bang
grinds my too-fragile-for-today bright towers down
and my feet cannot ascend the stairs and leave the ground behind.

© Christina Cairns 2005


I'm not sure about the last two lines but one.  There was a temptation to write "all this jingle-jangle daily bump and grind / wears my too-fragile..." so it would neatly rhyme with find, and behind.  But I think that's too neat, too cliched.  I like 'almost-rhymes' so 'bang' and 'down' it is...for the moment anyway.


Hmmm...typos often present interesting possibilities.  I just checked my preview and realised I'd written 'jungle-jangle'...I quite like that.  I shall think on it further.....










7 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, my--your words and that wonderful painting swirl beautifully in my mind and to my eyes.

Windsongs and Wordhoards said...

I can relate to those words of yours right now!
They feel very honestly spoken, and I like the shape of them with the 'bang' and 'down'.
I also like things not too neatly arranged with words so they can find their natural rhythm and flow without being cramped into a format.
Though the 'find' and 'behind' draw in nicely back into a circle (if that makes any sense at all!)

WOL said...

Boy, those last three lines really capture what I'm feeling like just now. I don't want to clean the cat box, take out the garbage, empty the dishwasher, wash two loads of clothes and hoover the rug. I want to sit and write the scene that has been playing in my mind in one version or another since yesterday.

Debrina said...

I can really sympathise with you and WAL, above. I get down from the daily grind of work, housework and rotten health right now (I've had tonsilitis twice in one month..blah). I'm still squeezing in art though...what else keeps us going?!!

Ruthie Redden said...

Beautifully put, especially like the "too fragile for today bright towers", x i think "jungle jangle" says loads x

Beth Niquette said...

Good morning! I have featured you and your blog on today's FAT Tuesday (Featured Artist Tuesday)Artist Spotlight.

The link is www.bethlniquetteart.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful day and thank you for the privilege of featuring your work today!

Angela said...

Your artwork is beautiful, I'm so glad to have found your blog :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails